When time and dollars are tight, how do you determine which memberships in trade, business and civic organizations are worth investing in? Here are some basic criteria to help you objectively prioritize how to allocate budget to a particular group. If you answer “yes” to most of these, the organization is worth considering.
- The organization attracts more buyers than sellers of services.
- The organization attracts decision-makers or senior level influencers.
- The organization is professionally managed, as opposed to being run ineffectively whether by volunteers or a management team.
- The organization has a board that you would like to get to know.
- The organization attracts companies of the size and stature you would like to get to know.
- The organization has ample opportunities for sponsorship, at many different levels of commitment, from a company like yours.
- The events organized by the organization are professional and top-notch in terms of speakers and attendees.
The organization communicates regularly with its membership through an active website, newsletters and other forums and regularly taps its members to answer media inquiries.